Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Episode 4: Blast from the Past

A couple on the train is standing close by, whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears and kissing each other's cheeks, as if nothing else mattered. They are completely infatuated with each other, and think nothing of anyone else looking on. Almost as sickening as it is, their gazes are intoxicating to each other, and I have to look away to keep my gag reflex from kicking in. (When did I become so disconnected from what love does to people?) It is almost irritating that they are so comfortable being affectionate in a public place.

I remember when I was like that.

I made the mistake of calling my ex today. But not like you think. I was at work and a task was asked of me that I knew he'd be able to help me with (as he was much more knowledgeable in the topic. Example: boss says "find me a specific computer piece" except I don't know what it is, but exboyfriend is a computer geek, therefore he could help me figure out what it is. I only use him as a resource when google is really no help.) Anyway, he didn't answer his phone so I left a message, a horrible babbling message, hoping he'd call me back.
"Hey, it's me. Sorry for bothering you but I need to ask a favor..."
I tell him to call me back on the office phone *insert number here* because my cell phone has been dead all day. (Way to plug it in before sleeping last night...)
However, luck finds me quickly, and I figure out most of the issue by myself (and from a little help from a store owner who was very nice and ended up giving me a $100 discount on the purchase I made.) So I call exboyfriend back to tell him to disregard my message and everything is fine.
But this time he picks up. I immediately start babbling... it last for about a minute. "I'm sorry for calling yadda yadda nevermind yadda yadda I figured it out." I literally talked from the second he said "hello" for about a minute and a half about how I was really sorry for calling and whatnot and I felt kind of dumb doing it, but it was totally necessary.

He said it was "fine" and "not to worry," he hadn't even gotten the message yet. Then, without missing a beat, he said the most horrifying thing he could have possibly said, the one thing that proved I was erased from his life:
"Who is this?"

No comments: